Wednesday 11 June 2014

Spicy Roasted Tomato and Peppadew Soup

So since I've been granted the immense privilege to be a full time mom again, I've had this surge of energy and inspiration to cook. Not that I neglected my family while I was working, but now I'm full of inspiration and use my days to think about the delicious, healthy meals I want to create for Adam and the kids. And then I do it. The feedback has been empty plates and "thank you, mom" eyes. What an honour it is to look after my family.

With the colder weather, I've been cooking soup to freeze so that I (in particular) don't have to worry too much about lunch for myself. Not only does soup keep you warm, but when made right, it's low in kilojoules, keeps your immune system up due to the hits of garlic and ginger and it caters for your summer body (currently in progress, of course).

Here is a delicious and very easy tomato soup I made last night. To make it kid friendly, leave out the chili.

Spicy Roasted Tomato and Peppadew Soup (serves 4)

Ingredients:
1kg of ripe tomatoes
3 tablespoons of crushed garlic
3 tablespoons of crushed ginger
3 tablespoons of red peppadews
2 tablespoons basil infused avocado oil (olive oil is perfect too)
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon of coconut oil (olive oil is perfect too)
1 tablespoon of crushed chili (adjust according to your capacity)
1 tin of whole, peeled tomatoes
1 packet/small tin of tomato paste
1 cup of good quality vegetable stock
Fresh basil to serve

Method:

1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius 

2. Quarter the tomatoes, without cutting right through them and place on a large baking tray

3. Place equal amounts of garlic, ginger and peppadew on each open tomato

4. Drizzle with the basil oil (or olive oil)

5. Season with salt and pepper to taste

6. Place baking tray into the oven and roast the tomatoes for 30 minutes.

With about 5-8 minutes to go before you have to take the tomatoes out of the oven:

7. In a large pot, heat up the coconut oil and fry the chili until fragrant and softer. You might want to add a little bit of water to the pot at this stage

8. Add the tomato paste and mix well with the chili. Add more water if it's too thick

9. Now add the tin of peeled, whole tomatoes - including the juice 

10. Take the roast tomatoes out of the oven and add everything to the pot

11. Remove the pot from the heat and blend everything in the pot with a stick blender until all the tomatoes and other ingredients are pureed. It doesn't have to be a smooth consistency, but all the big bits need to be gone (If you don't have a stick blender, use a food processor)

12. Place the pot back onto the stove and stir the soup through

13. Add the vegetable stock, reduce the heat and let the soup simmer for 10-15 minutes

14. Serve warm with fresh basil

Let me know what you think of this recipe and most of all: bon appetite.

No comments:

Post a Comment