Friday 23 November 2012

Foodie Friday - Adam's Favourite Pasta

You know, there are some recipes which lie so very near and dear to my heart. They bring me instant gratification when I make them, and they make others incredibly happy when they taste them. Today's recipe, Adam's Favourite Pasta, falls into that category.

My husband is a very fussy eater (okay,kudos to him - he has broadened his horizons quite significantly since he's known me), so to see him enjoy a dish - and I mean really enjoy - is a very satisfying thing.

I remember the first meal I ever cooked him when we first started dating. It was also a pasta dish, one which I had perfected over the years - it was fool proof - and my dad even dubbed me the Pasta Queen because of it. Yeah, about that...By the end of the meal, Adam was squirming around in his seat, trying to look very "full" and almost apologetic. What remained on his plate, was a huge pile of mushrooms, onions and green peppers. Each of which he took the time to pick out with his fork as to avoid contaminating the rest of his meal. Houston, we have a problem!

And then I married him...so that I have a lifetime in which to construct recipes that he'll love.Winning!!!

Back to today's recipe...I'm sure you'll agree with me that there is something about food that is evocative and sentimental in a way.And there are some recipes that I vowed to never share with anyone else - they're just that good. But that's just the problem with today's recipe: it's too good not to share.

So, without further ado, here's Adam's Favourite Pasta (serves 4)

Ingredients:
350g (about 3/4 packet) of Tagliatelle (flat ribbon pasta)
Salt
A little bit of olive oil
One packet of bacon, cut into pieces
250ml cream
Lemon infused avocado oil
One large avocado pear
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:
Bring water to boil in a pot and add the pasta, giving it a quick stir to unravel the ribbons. Add about 1/2 a teaspoon of salt, and cook for about 7-10 minutes, or until the pasta is tender.

In the meantime, start frying the bacon in a little bit of olive oil. You can decide (depending on time, I suppose) if you want the bacon to go crispy or not. When the bacon is cooked, add the cream, and turn the heat down low so that it can simmer for a minute or two.

Drain the pasta, and put it into a large dish.

Drizzle GENEROUSLY with the lemon/avo oil. But really, be generous. Are you being generous? Good.


This is the range of avocado oils that I use - you get it at any Pick 'n Pay store. So divine!

Pour the bacon and cream onto the pasta. Gently toss the pasta.

Cut the avocado pear into pieces, and also add to the pasta.Toss together once more.

Season with salt and pepper.


Not the real deal, but just an idea.

And...smile, because it tastes amazing! And you made it!

*variations: you can use chicken instead of bacon. You can use chili avo oil instead of lemon avo oil.*

Not the most diet-friendly recipe in the world, but you're allowed to indulge in this pasta once in a while. And then go run around the block. Five hundred times.

Have a fabulous weekend and I'll be back soon.

Maryke

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment