Friday 5 October 2012

The First "Foodie Friday"

I'm sure you're all familiar with the expression,"you can have your cake and eat it".If you think about it logically,it is actually a pretty dumb expression and the person who coined it probably didn't win any prizes for it (just a hunch,I've got no evidence - and I'm too lazy to Google it).Because what else would I do with my cake BUT eat it?

"Why thank you for my cake,I think I'll just look at it for a while."

"No no no,you can have your cake,AND eat it".

Haha - just my random thought for the day.

Anyway,talking about cake and all things delicious,I've decided to make Friday a dedicated recipe/food-related day on my blog (and here you thought my post about the cake was just for the hell of it - ha!).

So,to start of "Foodie Fridays",I want to post one of my favourite recipes of all time (which I got from my mother-in-law,Liz).It is a recipe I swear by,I always have the ingredients in my house and it comes in handy especially if you have many guests.It is also the perfect recipe to serve with ice-cream on hot summer days,AND it won't do too much damage to ye ol diet (bonus).So without further ado - quickly,go grab a pen and paper - here's my "Foodie Friday" recipe.

ONE Minute Chocolate Sauce

Ingredients:

3/4 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
Pinch of salt

1 and 1/2 cups of boiling water

1 teaspoon of vanilla essence

Method:

Sift together the cocoa,sugar and salt (I usually do this straight into the pot I'm going to use to allow for minimal dishes).

Add the boiling water to the pot with the above ingredients, and stir till the sugar is more or less dissolved.

Now put the pot on the stove,bring to the boil and boil for EXACTLY ONE MINUTE (I'm serious,you can't guess here - time yourself).Stir frequently to make sure there are no lumps and to see that it doesn't boil over.

Remove the sauce from the stove,and add the teaspoon of vanilla essence.

Allow to cool and put into a jar with a tight-fitting lid and keep in the fridge until needed.The sauce can be served hot or cold,and can be kept in the fridge for months.

When re-heating the sauce,stir well (this can also be done in the microwave oven).

VARIATION:You can also add about 1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon (depending on taste) of cayenne pepper to the mixture for a chili chocolate sauce.I wouldn't recommend doing this if you plan to refrigerate the sauce for a long period of time,but rather use all of it immediately.

This sauce is better than anything Milky Lane has to offer,and I'm sure you'll love it just as much as my dad does (and he has the biggest sweet tooth in the world,so that says a lot).I would also recommend using a good quality cocoa,as this just adds to the awesomeness of the sauce.



You're welcome! :)

Hope you all have a great weekend,and please remember to cheer for me (telepathically) on Sunday as I run my first 10km race.I'll come and post some pics.

Maryke
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment