Friday 19 October 2012

Foodie Friday - NO BAKING Chocolate Biscuit Fudge

First of all,I'm a bit emotional today.I'm very tempted to post a recipe containing tears,tissues,photos and first locks of hair.Errrrmmmm,that sounds freaky.

My baby boy is no longer a baby - he is 18 months old today *Sobs into pillow*

He has a vocabulary of 70+ words,and we are able to communicate with him AND he responds.He is funny,witty,smart,practically dresses himself,brushes his own hair and teeth,runs into and kicks a soccer ball and he looks like a real little person now *Does the ugly cry*

I am so grateful for him.Grateful that he is growing so well and excelling in everything he does.Running through his milestones at high speed.I'm excited about his future:bright and wide open,rich with promise and possibilities.I'm proud to be his mom.I don't know how we ever coped without him around.

Eli Hunter,not even a day old here
Moving swiftly along,today's Foodie Friday recipe is another quick and easy one (like I said before - I live for quick and easy).On some foods  - like a proper curry (no Rajah curry powder allowed!) - I wouldn't dream of taking shortcuts.But other things are certainly open for debate.

This recipe literally takes about 10 minutes to prepare,and then it just has to chill in the fridge for an hour.It's a classic sweet treat that has been around for many generations - I've seen it at every school fete or church bazaar I've ever been to - and it's a firm vacation-food favourite.You all know what I'm talking about,so here it goes (where's your pen and paper?):

NO BAKING Chocolate Biscuit Fudge

Ingredients:

250g salted butter - melted
1 Extra Large egg - left whole
1 Tsp vanilla extract
1 Pkt (200g) biscuits,crushed - here you can use Boudoir biscuits,Marie biscuits,digestive biscuits or tennis biscuits
500g icing sugar - sifted
4 Tbs cocoa,sifted - use a good quality cocoa,like the brand NoMU (www.nomu.co.za), as it gives your squares an amazing dark chocolate quality
Sea salt flakes to sprinkle

*Additional flavourings: You can add 1 Tsp instant coffee,grated zest from an orange, 5ml rum or a couple of finely chopped Maraschino cherries to your batter for a different taste*

Directions:

Melt the butter,then whisk in the vanilla,egg,sifted icing sugar and cocoa,and whatever additional flavourings you chose (if any).

Add the crushed biscuits and mix together.

Press the mixture into a square pie or baking dish.

Sprinkle over some sea salt flakes (sparingly).

Put in the fridge to set for about an hour.

Cut into squares and ENJOY!!!



(If you're pregnant,you should probably not eat these squares because of the "raw egg" element.Just thought of that).

I hope you all have a fantastic weekend - I need this one,it's been a very emotional week for me.But all good now.

Maryke

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment